St. Mary’s Dominican High School administrators served cake for all of the classes in observance of Foundation Day at Dominican, now in its 158th year. Each grade level had their designated cake, trimmed in their class color.
Dominican life began in Louisiana with the arrival of seven Dominican sisters from St. Mary’s Convent-Cabra, Dublin, Ireland on November 5, 1860. The foundresses of St. Mary’s Congregation in New Orleans – Mother Mary John Flanagan, Mother Mary Magdalen O’Farrell, Sister Mary Hyacinth McQuillan, Sister Mary Brigid Smith, Sister Mary Osanna Cahill, Sister Mary Xavier Gaynor, and Sister Mary Ursula O’Reilly, came at the request of Rev. Jeremiah Moynihan, Pastor of St. John the Baptist Church in New Orleans, to teach the children of the Irish immigrants. These Dominican women, educated in the humanities and the fine arts, opened St. John the Baptist School for Girls on December 3, 1860, with a recorded attendance of 200. In February 1861, the school was officially chartered. For generations, Dominican has been a leader in Catholic education for the Greater New Orleans Region.